Monday, June 10, 2013

The Avenue Gallery New Collection - Honica Jewellery


Like many artists, renowned jeweler Honica Zylstra creates work in the form of collections. With inspirations that include tribal life, royal colour pairings and the hidden depths of the ocean, it is no wonder that Honica's pieces are so in demand. Her most recent ensemble of earrings, necklaces and bracelets acts as a tribute to her own heritage.



My Grandmother's Antique Persian Carpet

"This carpet was already an antique when my mother and her sister played on its patterned softness when they were just babies. And later, when they were young women, this carpet covered the floorboard under which, during World War Two, my widowed grandmother had hidden weapons and fugitives fore the Dutch underground.
Several raids by the S.S. were made on my grandmother's house, and although they ransacked her home, stole her valuables, slashed this carpet in half, and imprisoned my mother for a time, the fugitives escaped to safety.
I'm sure this carpet holds more hidden history than I can ever know, just as did the lives of my mother and grandmother. Though faded now, worn and disfigured by wartime vadalism, the two halves of my grandmother's carpet are treasured by me and the sister with whom I share this legacy

I like to imagine that I can give it longer life through interpreting its textured colours, hand knotted so long ago, of wool dyed deep midnight blue, desert sand, sandalwood brown, and rich russet, into opulent jewellery, which will begin its own journey into history."


No comments:

Post a Comment